From Crisis to Recovery: A Rocky River Water Damage Restoration Case Study
SERVPRO is available around the clock to restore your space after a disaster occurs. Check out this Rocky River water damage restoration case study.
Back in August of 2022, the SERVPRO team was called to help with a water damage restoration project. It started with an unknown source of water in a Rocky River home that affected a mostly finished basement. The damage was quite extensive, as it impacted the lower walls, fixtures, floors, and belongings of the home.
After the cleanup was complete, we thought it was beneficial to create this Rocky River water damage restoration case study so that readers could get a better understanding of how SERVPRO took the space from a state of crisis to a state of recovery.
Details About the Damage
When we spoke to the homeowner’s son, we learned that there was around a half an inch of standing water above the ceramic floors. We discovered the rest of the issues upon entering the home.
Here is what we learned about this Rocky River home:
- There was an organic odor present
- Mold had formed, measuring less than 10 square feet, and was seen most significantly under a floating floor in the laundry room
- The sump pump had questionable functionality
- Previous water damage had occurred (which is what helped us diagnose the problem accordingly)
With all of this information at our disposal, we were able to develop a plan for water damage restoration. In this photo, you can see the equipment we brought in to dry out the space after we cleared out the impacted flooring and drywall.
Our team also suggested that a plumber should inspect the area and diagnose any issues with mechanical systems to identify the source of water intrusion and avoid future issues.
Developing an Appropriate Water Damage Repair Plan for This Rocky River Home
Based on the damage, the basement of this Rocky River home was treated as a Category 3 (CAT3), which is a severe case that involves contaminated water. This means that the water can be harmful to humans and animals. The damage was also given a title of Class 2 with an estimated drying time of three days. We were glad to have the opportunity to step in and provide water damage restoration services, making this Rocky River home safe again.
We carefully treated the following areas to restore their functionality:
- Recreational room and its closet
- Hallway and area at the bottom of the stairs (including another closet)
- Laundry room
The team at SERVPRO used our water damage repair expertise to evaluate the scene and treat the issues accordingly. Several days of work included debris disposal, protective equipment usage, containment measures, the covering of surfaces, and air scrubber setup.
Additional Notes on This Rocky River Water Damage Restoration Project
SERVPRO always prioritizes team and home safety, and this is demonstrated through our processes, observations, and notes. Taking notes allows us to give the homeowners a full analysis of what we did and a basis for a plan moving forward.
Here are some key notes we collected during this Rocky River water damage restoration:
- The homeowner and the investigator suspect a foundation issue, with signs of moisture in the crawlspace. The investigator made cuts to access areas, removed walls, and found mold behind them. Actions were taken to mitigate the issue.
- HVAC systems were turned off during the process of this Rocky River water damage repair.
- Detailed actions were carried out, including removing tiles, drywall, and fixtures, and cleaning various surfaces and equipment.
- Monitoring indicated that most of the structure was drying well, but the crawlspace still showed moisture intrusion, which might be linked to a sprinkler system issue.
- The structure remained dry, except for a small area near the bathroom/hallway where a dehumidifier purge line malfunctioned. Equipment was rearranged in the basement.
Taking these factors into account, further steps involved moving a granite countertop to facilitate work in the crawl space and carrying out final cleanup and fogging to address any remaining issues.
Choose SERVPRO for Your Water Damage Restoration Services
SERVPRO takes pride in being the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration for many cities and communities. Our water damage restoration services are available 24/7 for your convenience and we’re ready to help when you need it.
Whether you have experienced a Category 3 flooding event or something more minor, our team has the experience needed to diagnose an appropriate treatment plan that will restore the function of your property.
Thank you for taking the time to read our Rocky River water damage restoration case study. For more information about how we can help you with water damage restoration services, be sure to contact our team today!
Facts & Stats: National & Ohio Fires
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's fire damage restoration needs!
The unpredictable nature of fires can lead to so much devastation and loss for your home or business.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are around 346,800 house fires per year causing on average 2,620 fatalities.
Understanding the facts when it comes to fires can help you to better prepare your family and employees in case of disaster.
General Fire Facts & Stats
- Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, followed by:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- In 2020, fire and lightning insurance claims had the highest average payout of $77,340.
- On average, across the US, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds in 2021.
- In 2021, there were 1,353,500 fires reported, including residential and non-residential structures.
- In 2020, per 1,000 fires, the national average was 2 deaths and 8 injuries.
Ohio Fire Facts & Stats
- Ohio has the 7th most fatal home fires per capita in relation to the other 50 states, with Texas being the first.
- Smoking is the top cause of fire deaths in the state of Ohio, making up 20% of fatalities.
It's difficult and scary to imagine your home or business experiencing a fire. It can be hard to determine where to start when a disaster like this occurs.
If your home or business falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South is "here to help." Our experienced technicians handle the care and restoration of your property and its contents. We handle the cleanup and the reconstruction, so you don't have to worry about juggling multiple companies.
If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, give us a call today!
Facts & Stats: National & Ohio Water Damage
We are "here to help" handle your home and business's water damage restoration needs!
It's no secret that April showers are the start of Ohio's rainy season. Despite the name, April is only the 4th rainiest month in Ohio, with May, June, and the rainiest, July rounding out the top three.
As we work our way through the wet season, it's important to understand the facts of water and storm damage.
National Water Damage Facts & Stats
- 14,000 people in the US are affected by water damage every day.
- The average insurance claim to repair a water damaged home is $11,605.
- 99% of US counties experienced a flood from 1996-2019.
- 98% of US homes will experience water damage in their basements at least once.
- Even the smallest leak can increase the average water bill by 10%.
- In 2020, almost 20% of home insurance claims were due to water damage and freezing.
Ohio Water Damage Facts & Stats
- In Ohio, 540,863 properties have more than a 26% chance of being affected by severe flooding in the next 30 years.
- In 2021, at least 142 people died in flooding incidents, 64 of which were driving.
Water damage, whether it be from flooding or a storm, can be a difficult process to deal with. Luckily, SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South is equipped to handle all of your water damage restoration needs! From the drying process to reconstruction, we work with all insurances to get your home or business looking "like it never even happened."
Preparing for Spring Storms in the Cleveland Area
We are "here to help" handle whatever Mother Nature throws at us this spring!
Storm Prep is Worth the Time
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $27 million in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property for the summer.
- Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation. Cracks in the roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
- Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
- Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc. in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to part your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Stay Safe During a Storm
We have experienced quite the rainy and stormy summer so far, and with these storms comes a risk of personal and property damage. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe during a storm is the top priority, so here are a few tips to help you for the rest of the summer:
- Remain indoors. This can be inside your home or the home of a neighbor if need be. If you are outdoors, seek shelter at a local business, or a public restroom. Public restrooms in parks are typically built to be storm proof. Should there be no other options, sheltering in your car should keep you safe and dry as you wait out the storm.
- Stay away from windows. The safest place to be during a storm is a basement. If your house doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice as well.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid showering or talking on a wired phone during a storm. Lightening can travel through plumbing fixtures or home wiring, so avoid using your washer and dryer during a storm. Lightning strikes can cause those appliances to short and catch fire.
- Once the storm has passed, be cautious when walking around, especially outside. Be alert for down powerlines and tree branches. If you smell gas, be sure to contact authorities immediately.
Storms can be scary to witness, but following these steps can help to put your mind at ease during the next one. If you find that a storm has caused damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South today and let the experts take care of it!
SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South is Ready for All of Your Storm Needs
If you have experienced any type of storm damage, whether it be from flooding or water damage, the experienced Storm Team at SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South will be there for you. Although we are an Ohio based franchise, we prepare in advance for expected damage from any storm anywhere in the United States! We respond quickly, too, because we know that immediate action and a fast response lessens damage, limits further damage, and reduces restoration costs. Our professionally trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources needed to handle the job, large or small, residential and commercial. Our teams strategically prepare ahead of the storm and place equipment at the best locations in case of flood or storm emergency. With several certifications and over 50 years of experience, you can rest assured that we are perfectly equipped to deal with any storm job no matter the size. Choose SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South a company that specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. We are Here to Help® and are ready to respond when Mother Nature strikes.
Communication is Key in the Restoration Business
“Stayed in communication and made sure I understood what was happening and if I had any questions, they would answer them! I highly recommend them!”
The above quote was from one of our many clients, and for the sake of anonymity, we’ll call them John. John woke up one morning to find that the line to his freezer had broken and caused water to leak from the kitchen into the unfinished part of the basement. He quickly shut off the water and got in contact with us to cleanup and restore the damaged area. The job itself was straightforward; dry out the area, then repair or restore anything that was damaged. But, when John wrote a five-star review, he chose to harp not on the work itself, but on the COMMUNICATION he received throughout the process. This decision is interesting because it highlights what sets SERVPRO apart from other restoration and construction companies.
There are lots of companies that can do clean up and restoration, and John probably knew that. It’s easy to imagine that when he saw the damage, he googled what companies could mitigate it. SERVPRO came up, of course, but so did many other companies; some organically and some through paid ads. John had options, but he saw our raving reviews and happy customers, and chose to go with SERVPRO, and he’ll be forever happy he did. We kept him in the loop the entire time. He always had the ability to call us with questions or concerns. He always knew what was happening, why it was happening, and about how long it would take. Despite clean up and restoration being an area that John probably had no experience in, he was able to follow the process of his house and his property being restored as if he was a member of the green team doing it.
Don’t choose a company that just does the work because you’re paying them, choose a company that cares enough to help walk you through the entire process of clean up, restoration, and reconstruction. Choose SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South.
Here to Help: Commercial Property Restoration
We have the equipment and crew to handle any size commercial property loss!
Flooding and water damage events at Northeastern Ohio commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
SERVPRO of Southern Cuyahoga County: 440-237-0077
SERVPRO of Southern Cuyahoga County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Commercial Mold Detection & Removal
We have the ability to use technology to detect & attack mold!
COMMERCIAL MOLD DETECTION & REMOVAL SERVICES
Mold contamination is a growing concern for businesses of all sizes. Mold, a fungus that is found in damp places, can grow almost anywhere moist conditions exist. Left unattended, it can cause health effects as well as serious structural damage to your facility. As your go-to experts in mold remediation, we take a methodical and systematic approach to carefully identify the source of the mold growth and help eliminate mold from your working environment.
What are the signs to look for in your building?
- A recent flood or water damage
- Leaks in or around the building either from burst pipes or air conditioning systems
- Musty odors in the building
- Discoloration or water stains on the walls or ceilings
Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on and can grow anywhere:
- HVAC system
- Furnishings and more
LET US TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOLD PROBLEM:
Regardless of mold, your work must go on. Trust the experts in mold abatement at SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South to take care of the problem so you can focus on your business. We take a methodical and systematic approach to carefully identify the source of mold growth and help eliminate mold from your working environment as soon as possible.
How Quickly Can You Remove Mold?
SERVPRO provides thorough commercial mold remediation to your Solon businesses. How fast our technicians can accomplish that depends on how much mold and water are present. Mold spores only become active when there is enough moisture to ‘wake’ them from their inert state and begin expanding.
Is Mold Dangerous to My Employees and Customers?
Mold may cause some health effects but that is about it. If you can see or detect that distinctive musty odor, call us, and technicians can arrive at your Southern Cuyahoga workplace to begin remediation before it causes permanent damage to your building.
That is the real threat of active mold colonies; as they grow and expand, individual spores extend hyphae to absorb food and water. With enough time, these hyphae can dig into drywall, ceiling tiles, even the wood that makes up wall framing and larger support structures. To stop the growth, our technicians search for any pools, leaks, and other sources of water. This starts the process of returning the mold to an inert state.
To remove the mold, our response team members carefully demolish the infested property, bag it for transport, and dispose of it outside the facility. Where the mold is only on the surface or has only slightly penetrated the surface, technicians use chemical agents to disinfect the affected surfaces and then scrape it off for disposal.
Is My Business Now Free of Mold?
No. Mold spores, especially when they are inert, are too small to see with the unaided eye. Fortunately, they are no more of a threat than common house dust. The best way to keep your business free of active mold growth is to have SERVPRO periodically ensure there is no standing water or leaks inside your facility.
If you suspect mold in your business, count on SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South to quickly remediate the issue and let you get back to business as soon as possible. Once we assess the damage, we’ll work with you to create a comprehensive remediation plan unique to your needs. Then, we’ll keep you informed every step of the way to ensure we’re always on the same page and providing the best work. With our guided expertise, innovative tools, and top-of-the-line technologies, we’ll get your business up and running again as soon as possible.
Contact us today at 440-237-0077
Protecting Your Pets from Fires
We value our pets like family members, so we make sure that they are prepared for emergencies, too!
Your pets are an important part of your family, and you surely would do whatever you can to keep them from harm’s way. To help keep your pet and the rest of your family safe from the dangers of a home fire, here are several important steps you should take to prevent and prepare your pet for the possibility of a fire emergency in your home in Independence, Solon or Strongsville.
Pet Fire Prevention
Like young children, your pets are not always aware of their surroundings, and that their actions can result in a fire. Here are a few pet safety tips for preventing a fire:
- Don’t leave pets unattended near space heaters or an open flame
- Secure electrical cords that your dog might chew on
- Remove stove knobs or use safety covers
- Consider flameless candles or other candle alternatives
Pet Fire Preparedness
Once you have set up your home to help your pets from starting a fire emergency, you then need to start on your pet preparation and fire escape plan. When developing an evacuation plan with your family, identify which member of the family will be responsible for helping your pets get to safety, and make sure your dog comes when called.
Create a pet fire safety kit with medical supplies you might need to help your pet, some treats, and a leash or carrier. Also, add a pet alert window cling to a front window with information on all of your pets so firefighters can quickly find them.
While the tips in this guide can help you prevent a fire emergency and provide you with a plan for helping your pet, make sure to you don’t delay your escape if saving your pet isn’t possible. Once out of the house, never reenter until after firefighters extinguish the fire and the fire damage assessment team says your home is safe to enter.
For information about pet adoption click.
Are You Prepared for the Next Natural Disaster?
SERVPRO has the equipment, technology, and experience to help anyone anywhere following a natural disaster.
Natural disasters often feel like an issue that happens to other people, not you. But, these events can be unpredictable, so it's important to have a plan just in case. Having a disaster plan means you're ready in case anything happens, which is a vital part of being a business owner.
Disaster Preparations for Business Owners
- Double-Check Your Insurance
Not every business policy is designed with natural disasters in mind. Often, excessive damages from natural causes will not be fully covered, leaving business owners to foot the bill for recovery from their own capital. However, starting this dialogue with your agent and researching the types of supplemental policies business owners may be eligible for will help you be certain you are fully covered.
- Create Your Action Plan
When you are faced with a scenario where you must evacuate from your business right away, it is important to have a plan in place, and all necessary supplies in as little time as possible. Documenting local shelters, evacuation routes and medical facilities will be helpful, as well as any key actions such as shutting down machinery on your way out the door.
- Rehearse Drills and Prepare Staff
It is important to not only make an emergency action plan for yourself, but to also include your staff in the procedures. Once you have your details determined, sharing the plan with your employees and designating those in leadership roles to host regular and varied disaster drills with the team can help everyone stay safe and know what to do in a frightening scenario.
- Choose a Restoration Company to Work With
All aspects of disaster planning are important, but one vital thing is knowing how you will get your business property suitable to reopen following the disaster. The best way to do that is to work with a restoration company that has expertise in commercial jobs to get your damage restored and your doors reopened as quickly as possible
Disasters are always unpredictable and sometimes unavoidable. Nobody wants to deal with the stress that comes when disaster strikes. The way you respond to disaster, however, could make it a bit easier to handle. That’s where the Disaster Recovery Specialists at SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South come in!
Despite being located in Southern Cuyahoga County, our SERVPRO franchise group has the ability to mobilize in order to help when natural disasters strike around the country. Our experienced Disaster Recovery Team is quick to act when it comes to helping those in need.
What Does SERVPRO Do?
The well-trained SERVPRO professionals will make it seem like your disaster never happened! Our team will arrive quickly to your disaster, expertly and efficiently evaluate your issue, and restore everything to fit your needs.
When your business suffers from flood damage, fire damage, storm damage, or mold, time becomes money. The faster the problem is masterfully solved, the sooner you can open your business back up and start serving clients again! Thanks to being locally owned and operated, SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South is faster to any disaster.
What Do I Need to Do?
All you have do is call the local SERVPRO professionals, and we will help you through every step of the process. We know your business is important to you; it’s important to us too! We will take care of you and your property every step of the way in this difficult time.
No one ever wants to deal with disaster, but when the time comes, our team of passionate experts are the best to ease your stress and conquer your mess. So, give us a call, and let us do what we do best, so you can get back to doing what you do best.
Contact Us Today! 440-237-0077
Viral Pathogen Cleaning to Ease Your Stress
Our SERVPRO crew is dedicated to keeping your business safe and healthy.
It has been a stressful few years for a lot of reasons, but one of the main ones is worrying about your health. With concerns about viral pathogens on the rise, biohazard and pathogen cleans have increase as well for SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South.
We understand and empathize with you when your company needs a viral pathogen clean. Utilizing the best technology and cleaning solutions with CDC guidance, our technicians have grown into experts at handling your business with care.
We work quickly and efficiently to ensure that your business is up and running again in no time; we may not be able to make what happened in 2020 disappear, but we can make your viral pathogen concern at your business "like it never even happened."